Keywords, in their rich diversity play a significant role in helping your readers to locate you easily. In addition, they assist in targeting your content to the right audience. However, the big question is not whether you need to use them or not. The biggest issue lies with how you use them. One of the biggest blunders that writers and marketers make is failing to use them in their right quantity. With this in mind, it is necessary to pay attention to how many keywords you integrate in your writings. But is there a specific percentage of keywords you need to incorporate in your writings? This question has no clear answer since it depends on various factors. However, if you use too many keywords in a single article, it can backfire on you. For instance, search engines can analyze the keywords and lower your ranking. So, what is the ideal keyword density for your writings? To find the right answers to this question, read on until the end of this post.
What is Keyword Density?
Before proceeding, it is necessary to define keyword density. In short, keyword density is the number of times or percentage of times a particular keyword or key phrases appears on a web page compared to the total number of words on that page.
Consider These Factors
So, what is the ideal percentage? The ideal percentage of including keywords in your writing depends on other factors. In this section, we shall look at some of the factors that determine the idealness of your keyword percentage.
- You ought to use the keyword as long as it does not become repetitive. For instance, you can read your writings to yourself to see how many times you have used keywords and replace them with synonyms to make them sound more natural
- The idealness of your keywords matters where you use them instead of just focusing on how many times you use them. For instance, you can utilize them in the titles, headers, bolded words, and metadata to give your writings more weight
- In addition, you may focus on how well you spread the keywords in your articles. For instance, if you ought to use a keyword twenty times in an article, it will be ineffective to that same keyword five times in one paragraph. Good judgment demands that you spread them evenly from the title down to the conclusion
- When using images in your writings, you can enhance the effectiveness of your articles by using keywords in the alt tags for the page images. This way, your keywords will not just enhance the text, but also, the visual and graphical value of your paper
- Lastly, it is necessary to pay attention to the overall quality of your writings. The reason is that if you use good keywords in the right places, and yet, your quality is substandard, you will end up achieving nothing in the end of your writing. Using great keywords in the right places without minding the quality is like serving your guests a rotten meal on golden plates
Content Length and Readability Impact Keyword Density
Since keyword density is pegged on the length of your writings, it is necessary to look at the length of your article to determine the appropriateness of that density. The first thing you have to look at is the readability of your article and bring in keyword density as a support for it. You have to ensure that the extent to which you use your keywords does not hinder the natural flow of your writings.
In addition, it is prudent to factor in the length of your article before determining the ideal density of keywords you will use. Take this example, if you want to achieve a keyword density of 3 percent in an article of 100 words, you will definitely end up spamming it. The reason is that you will need to use the same word in the 100 words a record 9 times. But if you were to use the same percentage in a piece of writing with 1000 words, you will end up using the same keyword with a frequency of less than 1 percent.
When used properly, keywords are great tools for enhancing your online content. However, it is necessary to pay attention to how you use them, and in particular, the density of their usage. It is also necessary to pay attention to other factors that are more important than their mere usage. For instance, taking care of where you use the keywords, the quality of your content, as well as your overall word count will enable you attain an ideal keyword density. We believe that incorporating the insights we have shared in this post will help you to get the most out your writings.